BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Calibrating the Front Seats User Manual
Calibrating the Front Seats
There is a risk of jamming when moving the seats. There is a risk of injury or risk of damage to property. Make sure that the area of movement of the seat is clear prior to any adjustment.
A corresponding message appears on the Control Display.
- Press the switch and move the respective seat all the way forward, until it stops.
- Press the switch forward again. The seat still moves forward slightly.
- Readjust the seat to the desired position.
The calibration procedure is completed when the message on the Control Display disappears.
If the message continues to be displayed, repeat the calibration.
If the message does not disappear after a repeat calibration, have the system checked as soon as possible?
Automatic deactivation of the front passenger airbags
The system reads if the front passenger seat is occupied by measuring the human body’s resistance.
The front, knee, and side airbags on the front passenger’s side are activated or deactivated.
Before transporting a child in the front passenger seat, refer to the safety information and instructions for children on the front passenger seat, see Children.
To ensure the front passenger airbag function, the system must be able to detect whether a person is sitting in the front passenger seat. The entire seat cushion area must be used for this purpose. There is a risk of injury or danger to life. Make sure that the front passenger keeps his or her feet on the floor area.
The fault of the automatic deactivation system
When transporting older children and adults, the front passenger airbags may be deactivated in certain seat positions. In this case, the indicator light for the front passenger airbags lights up.
In this case, change the seat position so that the front passenger airbags are activated and the indicator light goes out.
If it is not possible to activate the airbags, have the person sit in the rear.
To enable accurate recognition of the occupied seat cushion:
- Do not attach covers, cushions, ball mats or other items to the front passenger seat unless they are specifically determined to be safe for use on the front passenger seat.
- Do not place any electronic devices on the front passenger seat if a child restraint system is to be installed on it.
- Do not place objects under the seat that can press against the seat from below.
- No moisture in or on the seat.
Indicator light for the front passenger airbags
- The indicator light for the front-seat passenger airbag in the headliner indicates the operating state of the front-seat passenger airbag.
- The light indicates whether the airbags are either activated or deactivated.
- After the drive-ready state is switched on, the light shortly lights up and then indicates whether the airbags are either activated or deactivated.
- The indicator light lights up when a child is properly seated in a child restraint system or when the seat is empty. The airbags on the front passenger side are not activated.
- The indicator light does not light up when, for instance, a correctly seated person of sufficient size is detected on the seat. The airbags on the front passenger side are activated.
Detected child restraint systems
The system generally detects children seated in a child restraint system, particularly in child restraint systems required by NHTSA at the point in time when the vehicle was manufactured. After installing a child restraint system, make sure that the indicator light for the front passenger airbags lights up. This indicates that the child restraint system has been detected and the front passenger airbags are not activated.
[amalinkspro_table id=”32452″ new-window=”on” no follow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide: BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html