BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Operating trunk lid with no-touch activation User Manual
Opening and Closing the Trunk lid with No-Touch Activation
The trunk lid can be opened with no-touch activation using the vehicle key you are carrying. With automatic tailgate operation, it can also be closed with no-touch activation. Two sensors detect a forward-directed foot motion in the central rear area and the trunk lid is opened or closed.
- To avoid locking the vehicle key in the vehicle, do not place the vehicle key in the cargo area.
- With automatic transmission: selector lever position P must be engaged for touchless opening of the trunk lid.
- If the vehicle key is in the sensor area, the trunk lid may open or close inadvertently if you unintentionally move your foot or if a foot movement is detected.
- The sensor has an approximate range of 5 ft/1.50 m extending from the rear of the vehicle.
- If you open the trunk lid with no-touch activation, locked doors will not be unlocked.
- Contactless opening and closing of the trunk lid must be activated in the settings.
During no-touch activation, vehicle parts may be touched, such as the hot exhaust gas system. There is a risk of injury. When moving your foot, make sure you have a firm stance and do not touch the vehicle.
During opening, the trunk lid pivots back and up. There is a risk of damage to property, among other potential damage. Make sure that the area of movement of the trunk lid is clear during opening and closing.
Contactless opening and closing of the tailgate can be switched on or off.
- “Doors/ vehicle access”
Performing the foot movement
- Stand in the middle behind the vehicle at approx. one arm’s length away from the rear end.
- Wave a foot under the vehicle in the driving direction and immediately pull it back. With this movement, the leg must pass through the ranges of both sensors.
- Perform the foot movement described earlier.
- Before the trunk lid opens, the hazard warning system flashes.
- With automatic tailgate: Moving your foot again will stop the opening movement, and moving it one more time after that will close the trunk lid.
- The trunk lid can only be closed with no-touch activation if the automatic tailgate operation is active.
- Perform the foot movement described earlier.
- The hazard warning system flashes and an acoustic signal sounds.
Moving your foot again will stop the closing motion, and moving it one more time after that will reopen the trunk lid.
The detection of the foot movement may be limited due to the following external conditions:
- Ice, snow or slush on the rear of the vehicle.
- Dirt or road salt on the rear of the vehicle.
Movement in the range of the sensors may cause unintended opening or closing of the cargo area, for instance due to water running own when cleaning the vehicle or with heavy rainfall. To prevent such unintended opening or closing of the cargo area in such cases, keep the vehicle key at a sufficient distance from the rear of the vehicle.
Touchless unlocking and locking of the vehicle
The vehicle will be unlocked when the driver approaches the locked vehicle with the vehicle key.
When the driver walks away from the unlocked vehicle with the vehicle key, the vehicle will be locked.
- The vehicle will be unlocked when an authorized vehicle key is detected in the unlocking zone.
- The unlocking zone is located within a radius of approx. 3 ft/1 m around the door handles.
- The vehicle will be locked when the vehicle key leaves the locking zone.
- The locking zone is located within a radius of ap‐prox. 7 ft/2 m around the door handles.
- If the vehicle key is located in the unlocking zone for an extended period of time without movement, the vehicle will be locked automatically.
If a passenger is detected in the front passenger seat during locking and the safety belt of the front passenger is engaged in the safety belt buckle during locking:
- The vehicle will be locked but not secured against theft.
- The fuel filler flap remains unlocked.
The behavior of the vehicle during touchless un‐locking/locking depends on the following set‐tings:
- If the automatic unlocking is active.
- If the automatic locking is active.
- If only the driver’s door and the fuel filler flap or all access to the vehicle will be unlocked. Only driver’s door and fuel filler flap: the driver’s door and fuel filler flap will only be un‐locked when the driver approaches the vehicle on the driver’s side.
- All vehicle entry points: the vehicle will be un‐locked regardless of the side on which the driver approaches the vehicle.
- If the unlocking and locking of the vehicle is confirmed with a light signal or a sound signal.
- If the welcome light is switched on when the vehicle is being unlocked.
- If pathway lighting is activated during locking.
- If the exterior mirrors are automatically folded out and in when the vehicle is unlocked and locked.
- The drive-ready state must be turned off.
- Unlocking: when entering the unlocking zone, the doors and trunk lid must be closed.
- Locking: when leaving the locking zone, the doors and trunk lid must be closed.
- For touchless locking of the vehicle, no second vehicle key can be located in a radius of six meters around the vehicle.
- If the vehicle has been in the idle state for several days, touchless unlocking/locking is not possible until after the vehicle has been driven.
Vehicle key detection by the vehicle may mal‐function under the following circumstances:
- The battery of the vehicle key is discharged. For replacing the battery, refer to page 85.
- The fault of the radio link from transmission towers or other equipment with high transmitting power.
- Shielding of the vehicle key due to metal objects.
Do not transport the vehicle key together with metal objects.
- Fault of the radio link from mobile phones or other electronic devices in direct proximity to the vehicle key.
Do not carry the vehicle key in close proximity to other electronic devices.
Wet or snowy conditions may disrupt the locking request detection on the door handles.
In the case of a malfunction, unlock and lock the vehicle using the buttons of the vehicle key or use the integrated key.
For the integrated key, refers to page 91.
[amalinkspro_table id=”32452″ new-window=”on” no follow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide: BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html