BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Parking aid lines User Manual
Parking aid lines
Lanes help you to estimate the space required when parking and maneuvering on level roads. Lanes depend on the steering angle and are continuously adjusted to the steering wheel movements.
Turning circle lines
Turning circle lines can only be superimposed on the camera image together with lanes. Turning circle lines show the course of the smallest possible turning radius on a level road. Only one turning circle line is displayed after the steering wheel is turned past a certain angle.
Parking using lanes and turning circle lines
- Position the vehicle so that the red turning circle line leads to within the limits of the parking space.
- Turn the steering wheel to the point where the green lane covers the corresponding turning circle line.
Depending on the vehicle equipment, obstacles behind the vehicle are detected by the PDC Park Distance Control sensors. Obstacle markings can be faded into the image of the rearview camera.
The colored thresholds of the obstacle markings match the markings of the PDC Park Distance Control.
Setting brightness and contrast
With the rearview camera switched on:
- Move the Controller to the right, if needed.
- “Camera image”
- Select the desired setting.
System limits of the sensors
Cameras, refer to page 37.
- When the camera is deactivated, for instance when the trunk lid is open, the camera image is displayed hatched in gray.
Detection of objects
- Very low obstacles as well as high, protruding objects such as ledges may not be detected by the system. Depending on the vehicle equipment, some assistance functions also consider data from the PDC Park Distance Control. Follow the notes in the PDC Park Distance Control chapter. The objects displayed on the Control Display may be closer than they appear. Do not estimate the distance from the objects on the display.
With Parking Assistant:
- Parking Assistant
- The Automatic Parking Assistant supports the driver in the following situations:
- When parking parallel to the road, parallel parking.
- When parking in reverse perpendicular to the road, perpendicular parking.
- The system ori‐ents itself with the middle of the parking space.
- Depending on the equipment version: when driving out of parallel parking spaces.
Automatic Parking Assistant handling is divided into three steps:
- Switching on and activating.
- Parking space search.
System status and instructions on required ac‐tions are displayed on the Control Display.
Ultrasound sensors measure parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle.
The Automatic Parking Assistant calculates the best possible parking line and takes control of the following functions during the parking operation:
- Accelerating and braking.
- Changing gears.
- The parking operation is automatic.
The system cannot serve as a substitute for the driver’s personal judgment in assessing the traffic situation. Based on the limits of the system, it cannot independently react to all traffic situations. There is a risk of accident. Adjust driving style to traffic conditions. Watch traffic closely and actively intervene where appropriate.
The system can steer the vehicle over or onto curbs. There is a risk of damage to property, among other potential damage. Watch traffic closely and actively intervene where appropriate.
The safety information of the PDC Park Distance Control apply in addition.
PDC Park Distance Control, refer to page 240.
Button in the vehicle
Park assistance button.
The system is controlled by the following sensors:
- Ultrasound sensors in the front/rear bumpers.
- Ultrasonic sensors, side.
- Additional information:
- For sensors of the vehicle, refer to page 37.
For the measurement of parking spaces
- Maximum speed while driving forward approx. 22 mph/35 km/h.
- Maximum distance to row of parked vehicles: 5 ft/1.5 m.
Suitable parking space
- The gap behind an object that has a min. length of 1.7 ft/0.5 m.
- The gap between two objects with a minimum length of approx. 1.7 ft/0.5 m.
Parallel parking to the road:
- Min. length of the gap between two objects: own vehicle length plus approx. 2.6 ft/0.8 m.
- Minimum depth: approx. 5 ft/1.5 m. Perpendicular parking:
- Minimum width of the gap: own vehicle width plus approx. 2.3 ft/0.7 m.
- Minimum depth: own vehicle length.
- The depth of diagonal parking spaces must be estimated by the driver.
- Due to technical limitations, the system is only able to approximate the depth of diagonal parking spaces.
For the parking operation
- The doors and trunk lid are closed. Steptronic transmission:
- The driver’s safety belt is fastened.
Switching on the button
Press the park assistance button. The LED lights up.
The current status of the parking space search is indicated on the Control Display. Automatic Parking Assistant has been activated automatically.
Switching on with reverse gear
- Shift into reverse.
- The current status of the parking space search is indicated on the Control Display.
- If necessary, activate: “Atom Parking”
Switching on via iDrive
Display of the rearview camera or PDC view must be active.
- Move the Controller to the right.
- Activate the parking assistant on the Control Display: “Autom. Parking”.
View Full User Guide: BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html