BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Safety Belts User Manual
The vehicle is fitted with five safety belts to ensure occupant safety. However, they can only unfold their protective effect when adjusted correctly.
Always make sure that safety belts are being worn by the occupants before driving off. The airbags supplement the safety belts as an additional safety device. The airbags do not replace safety belts.
All belt fastening points are designed to achieve the best possible protective effect of the safety belts with proper use of the safety belts and correct seat settings. For notes on sitting safely, refer to page 109.
The two outer safety belt buckles of the rear seats are intended for the persons sitting on the left and right.
The center safety belt buckle of the rear seats is intended for the person sitting in the middle.
The use of a safety belt to buckle more than one person will potentially defeat the ability of the safety belt to serve its protective function. There is a risk of injury or danger to life. Do not allow more than one person to wear a single safety belt. Infants and children are not allowed on an occupant’s lap, but must be transported and secured in designated child restraint systems.
The protective effect of safety gear, including safety belts, can be limited or lost when safety belts are fastened incorrectly. An incorrectly fastened safety belt can cause additional injuries, for instance in the event of an accident, braking or evasive maneuvers. There is a risk of injury or danger to life. Make sure that all occupants are wearing safety belts correctly.
With a rear backrest that is not locked, the protective effect of the middle safety belt is not guaranteed. There is a risk of injury or danger to life. If you are using the middle safety belt, lock the wider rear seat backrest.
The protective effect of safety gear, including safety belts, may not be fully functional or fail in the following situations:
- The safety belts or safety belt buckles are damaged, soiled, or changed in any other way.
- Seat belt tensioners or belt retractors were modified.
Safety belts can be imperceptibly damaged in the event of an accident. There is a risk of injury or danger to life. Do not modify safety belts, safety belt buckles, seat belt tensioners, belt retractors or belt anchors and keep them clean. Have the safety belts checked after an accident at the dealer’s service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.
Correct use of safety belts
- Wear the safety belt twist-free and tight to your body over your lap and shoulders.
- Wear the safety belt deep on your hips over your lap. The safety belt may not press on your stomach.
- Do not rub the safety belt against sharp edges, or guide it or jam it in across hard or fragile objects.
- Avoid thick clothing.
- Re-tighten the safety belt frequently upward around your upper body.
Buckling the safety belt
- Guide the safety belt slowly over shoulder and hip to put it on.
- Insert the tongue plate into the safety belt buckle. The safety belt buckle must engage audibly.
When the safety belt is fastened, the driver’s and front passenger’s belt straps are automatically tightened once after driving away.
Unbuckling the safety belt
- Hold the safety belt firmly.
- Press the red button in the safety belt buckle.
- Guide the safety belt back into its roll-up mechanism.
Middle safety belt in the rear
Buckling the safety belt
- Pull the latch plate at the end of the belt out of the fixture on the rear shelf.
- Insert the lower buckle tongue in the belt lock, arrow 1.
- Insert the upper buckle tongue in the seat belt buckle, arrow 2.
The seat belt buckles must engage audibly.
[amalinkspro_table id=”32452″ new-window=”on” no follow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide : BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html