BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Vehicle features and options User Manual
Vehicle features and options
This chapter describes all standard, country-specific, and optional features offered by the series. It also describes features and functions that are not necessarily available in your vehicle, e.g., due to the selected options or country versions. This also applies to safety-related functions and systems. When using these functions and systems, the applicable laws and regulations must be observed.
High gross weight can overheat the tires, damage them internally and cause sudden tire pressure loss. Driving characteristics may be negatively impacted, reducing lane stability, lengthening the braking distances and changing the steering response. There is a risk of an accident. Pay attention to the permitted load capacity of the tires and never exceed the permitted gross weight.
Loose objects or devices with a cable connection to the vehicle, for instance mobile phones, can be thrown about the car’s interior while driving, for instance in the event of an accident, braking or evasive maneuver. There is a risk of injury. Secure loose objects or devices with a cable connection to the vehicle in the car’s interior.
Improperly stowed objects can shift and be thrown into the car’s interior, for instance in the event of an accident or during braking and evasive maneuver. Vehicle occupants can be hit and injured. There is a risk of injury. Stow and secure objects and cargo properly.
Fluids in the cargo area can cause damage. There is a risk of damage to property, among other potential damage. Make sure that no flu‐ids leak in the cargo area.
Steps for Determining Correct Load Limit
- 1. Locate the statement “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed XXX kg or XXX lbs” on your vehicle’s placard.
- Determine the combined weight of the driver and passengers that will be riding in your vehicle.
- Subtract the combined weight of the driver and passengers from XXX kg or XXX lbs
- The resulting figure equals the available amount of cargo and luggage load capacity. For example, if the “XXX” amount equals 1,400 lbs and there will be five 150 lbs passengers in your vehicle, the amount of available cargo and luggage load capacity is 650 lbs (1,400 – 750 (5 x 150) = 650 lbs)
- Determine the combined weight of luggage and cargo being loaded on the vehicle. That weight may not safely exceed the available cargo and luggage load capacity calculated in Step 4.
- If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this reduces the available cargo and luggage load capacity of your vehicle.
The maximum load is the sum of the weight of the occupants and the cargo.
The greater the weight of the occupants, the less cargo can be transported.
Stowing and securing cargo
- Cover sharp edges and corners on the cargo. Heavy cargo: stow as far forward as possible, directly behind and at the bottom of the rear passenger seat backrests.
- Very heavy cargo: stow as far forward as possible, directly behind and at the bottom of the rear passenger seat backrests. When the rear seat is not occupied, secure each of the outer safety belts in the opposite buckle.
- Fold down the rear seat backrests completely to stow large cargo.
Do not stack cargo above the upper edge of the backrests.
- Small and light cargo: secure with ratchet straps or, depending on the equipment, with a cargo net or draw straps.
Larger and heavy cargo: secure with cargo straps.
Lashing eyes in the cargo area
- General information
Attach load-securing aids, such as lashing straps, tensioning straps, draw straps or cargo nets, to the lashing eyes in the cargo area.
- Lashing eyes
- There are four lashing eyes in the cargo area for securing cargo.
- General information
A multifunction hook is located on the left side in the cargo area.
Improper use of the multifunction hooks can lead to a risk of objects flying about during braking and evasive maneuvers, for example. There is a risk of injury and risk of damage to property. Only hang lightweight objects from the multifunction hooks. Only transport heavy luggage in the cargo area if it has been appropriately secured.
View Full User Guide: BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html