BMW 8 Series Convertible 2022-2023 Ultrasound Sensors User Manual
Ultrasound sensors in the front-rear bumpers
The ultrasound sensors of the Park Distance Control PDC are located in the bumpers.
Ultrasonic sensors, side
The ultrasound sensors of the Automatic Parking Assistant are located on the side of the vehicle.
System limits of the ultrasonic sensors
The detection of objects with ultrasonic measurements can run into physical limits, e.g., in the following situations:
- In case of dirty sensors.
- In case of covered sensors, such as due to la‐bels.
- If the sensor is not aligned correctly, for in‐stance due to parking damage.
- After improper paint work on the vehicle in the area of the sensors.
- For small children and animals.
- For persons with certain clothing, for instance jacket.
- In case of external interference of the ultra‐sound, for instance from passing vehicles, loud machines or other ultrasonic sources.
- Under certain weather conditions, e.g., high relative atmospheric humidity, wet conditions, snowfall, cold, extreme heat, or strong wind.
- With tow bars and trailer couplings of other vehicles.
- With thin or wedge-shaped objects.
- With moving objects.
- With elevated, protruding objects such as ledges.
- With objects with corners, edges, and smooth surfaces.
- With objects with a fine surface structure such as fences.
- For objects with porous surfaces.
- With small and low objects, for instance, boxes.
- With soft obstacles or obstacles covered in the foam material.
- With plants and bushes.
- In automatic car washes.
- On uneven surfaces, such as speed bumps.
- Due to heavy exhaust.
- Cargo that extends beyond the perimeter of the vehicle is not taken into account by the ultrasonic sensors.
If applicable, a Check Control message will be displayed when the system limits are reached.
Operating state of the vehicle
Vehicle features and options
This chapter describes all standard, country-specific, and optional features offered by the series. It also describes features and functions that are not necessarily available in your vehicle, e.g., due to the selected options or country versions. This also applies to safety-related functions and systems. When using these functions and systems, the applicable laws and regulations must be observed.
Depending on the situation, the vehicle is in one of the three states:
- Idle state.
- Standby state.
- Drive-ready state.
When the vehicle is in an idle state, it is switched off.
The vehicle is in an idle state prior to the opening from the outside and after exiting and locking.
An unsecured vehicle can begin to move and possibly roll away. There is a risk of an accident. Before exiting, secure the vehicle against rolling. In order to ensure that the vehicle is secured against rolling away, follow the following:
- Set the parking brake.
- On uphill grades or on a downhill slope, turn the front wheels in the direction of the curb.
- On uphill grades or on a downhill slope, also secure the vehicle, for instance with a wheel chock.
Unattended children or animals in the vehicle can cause the vehicle to move and endanger themselves and traffic, for instance, due to the following actions:
- Pressing the Start/Stop button.
- Releasing the parking brake.
- Opening and closing the doors or windows.
- Engaging selector lever position N.
- Using vehicle equipment.
- There is a risk of accidents or injuries. Do not leave children or animals unattended in the vehicle. Take the vehicle key with you when exiting and lock the vehicle.
- Automatic idle state
For instance, the idle state is automatically established under the following conditions:
- After several minutes, if no operation takes place on the vehicle.
- If the charge state of the vehicle battery is low.
- Depending on the setting via indriven: when one or both front doors are opened after driving when exiting the vehicle.
In some situations, the idle state is not set automatically, for instance during a phone call or when the low beams are switched on.
Establishing idle state when
opening the front doors
After a trip, sleep mode can be established by opening the front doors. For this purpose, the driver and front passenger must exit the vehicle.
- “Doors/ vehicle access”
- “Turn off the vehicle after opening the door”
View Full User Guide: BMW 8 Series Convertible 2022-2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.bmwusa.com/owners-manuals.html