Honda Civic Hatchback 2022 Advanced Airbags User Manual
The airbags have advanced features to help reduce the likelihood of airbag related injuries to smaller occupants. The driver’s advanced airbag system includes a seat position sensor.
Based on information from this sensor and the severity of the impact, the advanced airbag system determines the optimal deployment of the driver’s airbag.
The front passenger’s advanced airbag system has weight sensors. The sensors are used for occupant classification to activate or deactivate the front passenger’s airbag. For adult-size occupants, the system will automatically activate the front passenger’s airbag. If a small adult sits in the front passenger seat and the system does not recognize him/her as an adult, see. 2 Passenger Airbag Off Indicator P. 70
If there is a problem with the driver’s seat position sensor or the passenger’s seat weight sensors, the SRS indicator will come on, and in the event of a crash, the airbag will deploy (regardless of the driver’s seating position or passenger’s occupant classification) with a force corresponding to the severity of the impact.
2 Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) Indicator P. 69
For the advanced front airbags to work properly, confirm that:
- The occupant is sitting in an upright position, wearing the seat belt properly and the seat-back is not excessively reclined.
- The occupant is not leaning against the door or center console.
- The occupants feet are placed on the floor in front of them.
- There are no objects hanging from the front passenger’s seat.
- Only small, lightweight objects are in the seat-back pocket.
- The steering wheel and passenger’s side dashboard are not obstructed by any object.
- No liquid has been spilled on or under the seat.
We advise against allowing a child age 12 or under to ride in the front passengerâ€™s seat. However, if you do allow a small child or infant to ride in the front passengerâ€™s seat, the system is designed to automatically deactivate the front passengerâ€™s airbag. Do not let a small child or infant ride in the front passengerâ€™s seat if the airbag does not automatically deactivate.
- There is no child seat or other object pressing against the rear of the seat or seat-back.
- There is no rear passenger pushing or pulling on the back of the front passenger’s seat.
- There are no objects placed under or beside the front passenger’s seat. Improperly positioned objects can interfere with the advanced airbag sensors.
- The head restraint is not contacting the roof.
Passenger Airbag Off Indicator P. 70
- The floor mat behind the front passenger’s seat is set in the correct position evenly on the floor. An improperly placed mat can interfere with the advanced airbag sensors. Floor Mats P. 683
The knee SRS airbags inflate in a moderate-to-severe frontal collision to help keep the driver and/or front passenger in the proper position and to help maximize the benefit provided by the vehicle’s other safety features. SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) indicates that the airbag is designed to supplement seat belts, not replace them. Seat belts are the occupant’s primary restraint system.
The knee airbag for the driver and the one for the front passenger are housed under the steering column and the glove box respectively. Both are marked SRS AIRBAG. Do not attach accessories on or near a knee airbag as they can interfere with the proper operation of the airbag, or even hurt someone if the airbag inflates.
The driver and front passenger should not store any items under the seat or behind their feet. The items can interfere with proper airbag deployment in the event of a moderate to severe frontal collision and may result in inadequate protection.
The driver’s and front passenger’s knee airbags deploy at the same time as the driver’s and front passenger’s airbags respectively.
- When the knee airbag deploys with little or no visible damage
Because the airbag system senses sudden deceleration, a strong impact on the vehicle framework or suspension might cause one or more of the airbags to deploy. Examples include running into a curb, the edge of a hole, or another low-fixed object that causes a sudden deceleration in the vehicle chassis. Since the impact is underneath the vehicle, damage may not be readily apparent.
- When knee airbag may not deploy, even though exterior damage appears severe
Since crushable body parts absorb crash energy during an impact, the amount of visible damage does not always indicate proper airbag operation. In fact, some collisions can result in severe damage but no airbag deployment because the airbags would not have been needed or would not have provided protection even if they had been deployed.
Side Curtain Airbags
The side curtain airbags help protect the heads of the driver and passengers in the outer seating positions during a moderate-to-severe side impact. The side curtain airbags equipped in this vehicle are also designed to help reduce the likelihood of partial and complete ejection of vehicle occupants through side windows in crashes, particularly rollover crashes.
The side curtain airbags are located in the ceiling above the side windows on both sides of the vehicle.
The side curtain airbag is designed to deploy in a rollover or a moderate-to-severe side impact.
To get the best protection from the side curtain airbags, occupants should wear their seat belts properly and sit upright and well back in their seats. Do not attach any objects to the side windows or roof pillars as they can interfere with the proper operation of the side curtain airbags. If the impact is on the passenger’s side, the passenger’s side curtain airbag deploys even if there are no occupants on that side of the vehicle. If the SRS control unit senses that your vehicle is about to roll over, it immediately deploys both side curtain airbags and activates the seat belt tensioners for the front seats and outer rear seats.
- When side curtain airbags deploy in a frontal collision
One or both side curtain airbags may also inflate in a moderate-to-severe angled frontal collision.
Honda Civic 2023 Top Accessories
[amalinkspro_table id=”32452″ new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide: Honda Civic Hatchback 2022 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://owners.honda.com/vehicle-information/manuals