Mercedes-Benz S-CLASS SEDAN 2023 Active Parking Assist User Manual
Active Parking Assist
The function of Active Parking Assist
Active Parking Assist is an electronic parking assistance system that uses ultrasound with the assistance of the rear-view camera or the 360°camera. When you are driving forwards up to approximately 22 mph (35 km/h), the system will automatically measure parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle.
Active Parking Assist offers the following functions:
Vehicles with rearview camera
- Parking in parking spaces parallel to the road R Backing up into parking spaces perpendicular to the road.
Vehicles with 360° camera
- Parking in parking spaces parallel to the road R Parking in parking spaces perpendicular to the road (optionally either forwards or in reverse) R Parking in parking spaces that can be detected as such only due to markings (e.g. at the roadside)
- Exiting a parking space parallel to the road
- Exiting a parking space perpendicular to the road (optionally either left or right)
- Active Parking Assist is only an aid. It is not a substitute for your attention to the surroundings. The responsibility for safe maneuvering and parking remains with you. Make sure that no persons, animals, objects, etc. are in the path of the vehicle.
- If Active Parking Assist is available, the
- A message will appear on the driver’s display. When the system detects parking spaces, will appear.
- The arrows show on which side of the road available parking spaces are located. These will then be shown on the central display.
When Active Parking Assist is activated, the turn signal indicators will be activated based on the calculated path of your vehicle. When you are entering or exiting a parking space, the procedure will be assisted by acceleration, braking, steering and gear changes. To start the parking procedure, press the c button (/ page 307).
Active Parking Assist will be canceled in the following situations:
- You deactivate Parking Assist PARKTRONIC.
- You press the c button again.
- You begin steering.
- You engage park position j.
- ESP® intervenes.
- You open the driver’s door.
If the exterior lighting is malfunctioning, Active Parking Assist will not be available.
Also, observe the system limits of the following systems:
- The rear-view camera (/ page 295)
- 360° camera (/ page 297)
- Objects that are above or below the detection range of Active Parking Assist, e.g. protruding loads, overhangs or loading ramps of trucks or boundaries of parking spaces, are not detected during the measurement of the parking space. These will also then not be taken into account when the parking procedure is calculated. In some circumstances, Active Parking Assist may therefore guide you into the parking space prematurely or brake too late.
- Certain ambient conditions, such as snowfall or heavy rain, may lead to a parking space being measured inaccurately. Parking spaces that are partially occupied by trailer drawbars may not be identified as such or be measured incorrectly. Use Active Parking Assist only on level, high-grip ground.
Risk of accident due to objects located above or below the detection range of Active Parking Assist If there are objects above or below the detection range, the following situations may arise:
- Active Parking Assist may steer too early.
- The vehicle may not stop in front of these objects.
There is a danger of collision
- In these situations, do not use Active Parking Assist.
Active Parking Assist can also display unsuitable parking spaces, e.g. parking spaces in which parking is not permitted or parking spaces on unsuitable surfaces.
Do not use Active Parking Assist in the following situations:
- In extreme weather conditions such as ice, snow or heavy rain.
- When transporting a load that protrudes beyond the vehicles
- If the parking space is on a steep downhill or uphill gradient.
- When snow chains are installed.
- Directly after a tire change or when spare tires are installed.
- If the tire pressure is too low or too high.
- If the suspension is out of alignment, e.g. after bottoming out on a curb.
- On steep inclines of more than approximately
Parking with Active Parking Assist
Select Parking Assistance menu 2. Parking spaces 3 detected by the system are shown on the central display.
When the vehicle is stationary, indicated vehicle path 4 into currently selected parking space 5 also appears.
- If a parking space is displayed: stop the vehicle.
- If necessary, select another parking space.
- Vehicles with 360° camera: to change the parking direction, tap the selected parking space again.
- To start the parking procedure: press button1 again. The vehicle drives into the selected parking space.
The turn signal indicator is switched on automatically when the parking procedure begins. You are responsible for selecting the turn signal indicator in accordance with the traffic conditions. If necessary, select the turn signal indicator accordingly.
Risk of accident due to vehicles winging out while parking or pulling out of a parking space While parking or exiting a parking space, the vehicle swings out and can drive onto areas of the oncoming lane.
This could cause you to collide with objects or other road users.
- Pay attention to objects and other road users.
- Where necessary, stop the vehicle or cancel the parking procedure with Active Parking Assist. On completion of the parking procedure, the Active Parking Assist Finished display message appears.
- Secure the vehicle against rolling away. When required by legal stipulations or local conditions: turn the wheels towards the curb.
- You can stop the vehicle and change the transmission position during the parking procedure. The system then calculates a new vehicle path. If no new vehicle path is available, the transmission position can be changed again, or the process can be canceled.
Immediate parking via the Camera Views menu
- Select the Camera Views menu.
- When the vehicle is stationary and in transmission position k, and symbol 6 appears in the camera image: press button 1 again. The parking procedure is initiated for the detected parking space.
- The parking space and parking direction cannot be changed in immediate parking.
Exiting a parking space with Active Parking Assist
- The vehicle is equipped with a 360° camera.
- R The vehicle has been parked with Active Parking Assist.
- Start the vehicle.
- Press button 1.
- Select Parking Assistance 2 menu.
- If necessary, change the direction of exit 3.
- To start exiting the parking space: press button 1 again.
- If necessary, change the transmission position.
- Observe any messages displayed on the driver’s display and central display.
- The vehicle moves out of the parking space.
The turn signal indicator is automatically switched on when exiting a parking space begins and switched off when it is completed. You are responsible for selecting the turn signal indicator in accordance with the traffic conditions. If necessary, select the turn signal indicator accordingly. After the parking space has been exited, a warning tone and the Active Parking Assist Finished: Take Control of Vehicle message prompt you to take control of the vehicle. You have to accelerate, brake, steer and change gears yourself again. If you do not react to the prompt to take control of the vehicle, the system will brake the vehicle to a standstill.
Pausing Active Parking Assist
You can interrupt the parking or exiting procedure of Active Parking Assist by performing one of the following actions, for example:
- Depress the brake pedal.
- Open the front passenger door, the rear door, the trunk or the hood.
- Apply the electric parking brake or activate the HOLD function.
- To resume the parking or exiting procedure: gently depress the accelerator pedal.
- If the electric parking brake was applied
Check the area around your vehicle again before resuming a paused parking procedure. Make sure once more that there are no persons, animals or objects in the vehicle’s path. Also observe the system limitations of Active Parking Assist.
The automatic braking function of Active Parking Assist
Persons or objects detected in the vehicle’s path could cause the vehicle to brake sharply and interrupt the parking or exiting procedure. The vehicle will then be held at a standstill. If you depress the accelerator pedal, the parking or exiting procedure is resumed. Check the area around your vehicle again before resuming the parking or exiting procedure. Make sure that persons, animals or objects are no longer in the vehicle’s path. Also observe the system limitations of Active Parking Assist.
Mercedes-Benz 2023 Top Accessories
[amalinkspro_table id=”32446″ new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide: Mercedes-Benz S-CLASS SEDAN 2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/manuals