Mercedes-Benz S-CLASS SEDAN 2023 Active Lane Keeping Assist User Manual
Active Lane Keeping Assist
The function of Active Lane-Keeping Assist
Active Lane Keeping Assist monitors the area in front of your vehicle by means of the multifunction camera (/ page 253) and can warn you before you leave your lane unintentionally. The system can guide you back into your lane through a course-correcting steering intervention and additionally warns you with vibration pulses in the steering wheel. Active Lane Keeping Assist is available in the speed range between 37 mph (60 km/h) and 124 mph (200 km/h).
The system can intervene in the following situations:
- Active Lane Keeping Assist detects a lane marking.
- One of your front wheels goes over a lane marking.
If you activate the turn signal indicator, a steering intervention does not occur on the corresponding side.
If the system detects an obstacle, such as another vehicle in the adjacent lane, a steering intervention will occur regardless of the turn signal indicator. If you leave the lane without activating the turn signal indicator, but danger of a collision with a moving obstacle is detected in your lane, a steering intervention does not occur.
Display 1 will appear in the driver’s display and a warning tone will sound in the following situations:
- A steering intervention by Active Lane Keeping Assist lasts longer than approximately ten seconds.
- The system carries out two or more steering interventions within approximately three minutes without any steering intervention from the driver.
In the Active Lane Keeping Assist settings, you can set the sensitivity of the system and set the level of support. Additionally, you can set whether the system should react to discontinuous lane~ markings or only continuous lane markings (/ page 290). Status displays for Active Lane Keeping Assist ï White: Active Lane Keeping Assist is deactivated. If ESP® is deactivated or a tire pressure loss warning is displayed, Active Lane Keeping Assist is automatically deactivated.
- Yellow: there is a malfunction. Please also observe the display messages.
- Gray: Active Lane Keeping Assist is activated, but not operating.
- Green: Active Lane Keeping Assist is activated and operating. If the system is operational on only one side, the lane marking is shown in green on the corresponding side.
- Red: Active Lane Keeping Assist has guided you back into your lane with a course-correcting steering intervention. The status display will flash if there is also a haptic warning in the steering wheel. The lane marking is shown in red only on the side for which there is a warning.
Active Lane Change Assist display in the “Assistance” menu
If the front wheel of the vehicle drives over a detected lane marking, this will be highlighted red in the Assistance menu in the driver’s display.
Vehicles with active ambient lighting: if Warning Support is activated, the Active Lane Keeping Assist warning is also accompanied by ambient lighting (/ page 174).
In the following situations, a lane-correcting steering intervention may not occur but rather a warning may be given on the steering wheel, depending on the situation:
- You clearly and actively steer, brake or accelerate.
- If a driving safety system intervenes, such as ESP®, Active Brake Assist or Active Blind Spot Assist.
- ESP®, Active Brake Assist or Active Blind Spot Assist.
- You have adopted a sporty driving style with high cornering speeds or high rates of acceleration.
- The system may be impaired or may not function particularly in the following situations:
- If there is poor visibility, e.g. due to insufficient illumination of the road, highly variable shade conditions, rain, snow, fog or heavy spray.
- If there is glare, e.g. from oncoming traffic, the sun or reflections.
- If there is dirt on the windshield in the vicinity of the multifunction camera or if the camera is fogged up, damaged or obscured.
- If there is dirt on the bumper in the area of the radar sensors, or if they are damaged or covered.
- If there are no lane markings, or several unclear lane markings are present for one lane, e.g. around roadworks.
- If the lane markings are worn, dark or covered.
- If the distance to the vehicle in front is too short and thus the lane markings cannot be detected.
- If the lane markings change quickly, e.g. lanes branch off, cross one another or merge.
- If the road is very narrow and winding.
Observe the notes on driving systems and your responsibility; you may otherwise fail to recognize dangers (/ page 252).
Activating/deactivating Active Lane Keeping Assist
Home>© > Settings>Assistance >Collision Avoidance
Active Lane Keeping Assist
- Activate or deactivate the function.
Alternatively, Active Lane Keeping Assist can be activated and deactivated via the quick vehicle access y.
After starting the vehicle, the settings are country-specific.
Setting Active Lane Keeping Assist Multimedia system:
HOME>© >Settings >Assistance >Collision Avoidance
Active Lane Keeping Assist
Setting the sensitivity
- Select Z.
- Select Early, Med. or Late.
The last selected setting will be adopted the next time the vehicle is started. The standard setting for this function is dependent on the country. Activating or deactivating assistance on discontinuous lane markings
Select Advanced Support.
The last selected setting will be adopted the next time the vehicle is started. The standard setting for this function is dependent on the country.
This function must be activated in vehicles without Driving Assistance Package so that Emergency Stop Assist is fully available. Further information on Emergency Stop Assist (/ page 270)
Mercedes-Benz 2023 Top Accessories
[amalinkspro_table id=”32446″ new-window=”on” nofollow=”on” addtocart=”off” /]
View Full User Guide: Mercedes-Benz S-CLASS SEDAN 2023 User Manual
Download Manuals: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/manuals