Kia Soul 2022 Driver Attention Warning (DAW) User Manual
As distractions proliferate and multitasking has become the norm in today’s fast-paced society, it is more important than ever to maintain road safety. The Kia Soul 2023, a car with cutting-edge safety technologies including the Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system, is offered by Kia Motors as a solution to this problem. The goal of the DAW technology is to actively monitor driver behavior, identify indicators of distraction or sleepiness, and send timely notifications to keep drivers awake and engaged while operating a vehicle. Kia Motors hopes to increase passenger and driver safety by adopting the DAW system, making every travel safe and pleasurable. Road safety requires drivers to pay attention at all times. Drowsiness, distraction, and inattentiveness all significantly contribute to accidents, according to studies. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that distracted driving contributed to 3,166 fatalities in the United States alone in 2019. Additionally, a sizeable percentage of collisions on highways around the world are caused by drivers who are fatigued. Kia Motors has adopted a proactive stance in response to this urgent issue by incorporating cutting-edge technology into their cars and placing driver attention at the heart of their safety initiatives.
Since every driver is different, Kia Motors created the DAW system to be adaptable, enabling users to personalize the sensitivity and strength of alerts according to their preferences. Drivers can quickly access and modify the DAW settings through the perceptive infotainment system thanks to the user-friendly interface, resulting in a seamless and customized experience. With this level of personalization, the DAW system adjusts to unique driving styles, encouraging a secure and relaxing driving experience.
Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
Driver Attention Warning is designed to warn the driver of potentially hazardous driving situations if it detects inattentive driving practices.
Driver Attention Warning does not detect actual driver fatigue or drowsiness. The function monitors driving and provides a warning if it detects inattentive driving practices.
Setting and activating the Driver Attention Warning
Driver Attention Warning is in the Normal position when your vehicle is first delivered to you from the factory.
To turn ON the Driver Attention Warning
- Turn on the vehicle, and then select ‘User Settings in the cluster Driver Assistance → DAW (Driver Attention Warning) → High Sensitivity/Normal Sensitivity/Off on the LCD display.
The driver can select Driver Attention Warning mode.
- High Sensitivity: Driver Attention Warning alerts the driver of his/her fatigue level or inattentive driving practices faster than Normal mode.
- Normal Sensitivity: Driver Attention Warning alerts the driver of his/her fatigue level or inattentive driving practices.
- Off: Driver Attention Warning is deactivated.
The set-up of Driver Attention Warning will be applied when the vehicle is restarted.
Displaying the driver’s attention level
The driver can monitor his/her driving conditions on the LCD display.
- Select ‘User Settings Mode’ and then ‘Driver Assistance’ on the LCD display. (For more information, refer to “LCD display” on pages 4-53.)
The driver’s attention level is displayed on a scale of 1 to 5. The lower the number is, the more inattentive the driver is. The number decreases when the driver does not take a break for a certain period of time.
The number increases when the driver attentively drives for a certain period of time. When the driver turns on the function while driving, it displays ‘Last Break time’.
Taking a Break
The “Consider taking a break” message appears on the LCD display and warning sounds suggest that the driver take a break when the driver’s attention level is below 1.
Driver Attention Warning function will not suggest a break when the total driving time is shorter than 10 minutes.
When other warnings, such as the seat belt warning sound, are in operation, they override the Driver Attention Warning alarming function and Driver Attention Warning warnings may not occur.
Resetting Driver Attention Warning
The last break time is set to 00:00 and the driver’s attention level is set to 5 (very attentive) when the driver resets Driver Attention Warning.
Driver Attention Warning resets in the following situations.
- The vehicle is turned OFF.
- The driver unfastens the seat belt and then opens the driver’s door in stop.
- The vehicle is parked for more than 10 minutes.
Driver Attention Warning operates again when the driver restarts driving.
Driver Attention Warning Standby
Driver Attention Warning enters the ready status and displays the standby screen in the following situations.
- The front view camera sensor is unable to detect the lanes.
- Driving speed remains 110 mph (177 km/h) or under.
Driver Attention Warning Malfunction
When the “Check system” warning message appears, the function is not working properly.
In this case, take your vehicle to an authorized Kia dealer and have the function checked.
- Driver Attention Warning is not a substitute for safe driving practices. It is the responsibility of the driver to always drive cautiously to prevent unexpected and sud-den situations from occurring. Pay attention to the road conditions at all times.
- It may suggest a break according to the driver’s driving pattern or habits even if the driver doesn’t feel fatigued.
- The driver, who feels fatigued, should take a break, even though there is no break suggestion by the Driver Attention Warning system.
Driver Attention Warning system utilizes the camera sensor on the front windshield for its operation. To keep the camera sensor in the best condition, you should observe the followings:
- Do not place any reflective objects (i.e. white paper, mirror) over the dashboard. Any light reflection may prevent the Driver Attention Warning system from functioning properly.
- Pay extreme caution to keep the camera sensor dry.
- Do not arbitrarily disassemble the camera assembly, or apply any impact on the camera assembly.
- Playing the vehicle audio system at a high volume may prevent occupants from hearing Driver Attention Warning system warning sounds.
Driver Attention Warning system may not provide alerts in the following situations:
- The lane detection performance is limited. (For more information, refer to “Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) (if equipped)” on pages 5-79.)
- The vehicle is erratically driven or is abruptly turned for obstacle avoidance (e.g. construction area, other vehicles, fallen objects, bumpy road).
- The forward drivability of the vehicle is severely undermined (possibly due to wide variation in tire pressures, uneven tire wear-out, and toe-in/toe-out alignment).
- The vehicle drives on a curvy road.
- The vehicle drives on a bumpy road.
- The vehicle drives through a windy area.
- The vehicle is controlled by the following driver assistance systems:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist
- Lane Keeping Assist
- Smart Cruise Control
- What is Driver Attention Warning (DAW) in the Kia Soul 2023?
The Kia Soul 2023 has a safety function called Driver Attention Warning (DAW) that helps track the driver’s degree of focus while driving. It informs the driver when it detects symptoms of inattention or tiredness using a variety of sensors and inputs.
- How does DAW work in the Kia Soul 2023?
The DAW system in the Kia Soul 2023 analyses the driver’s level of concentration using a variety of inputs, including steering angle, vehicle position, and driving behaviour. It continuously tracks these inputs and evaluates them against preset attentive driving behaviours. It sends the driver visual and aural alerts if it notices indicators of inattention or tiredness.
- What types of alerts does DAW provide?
The DAW informs the driver visually and audibly when it notices indicators of inattention. The visual alert, which often signals the need for attention, can be shown on the instrument cluster or the head-up display. The audible alert can be a spoken warning or a sound that alerts the motorist to pay attention to the road.
- Can the DAW system be customized or adjusted?
Yes, the Kia Soul 2023’s DAW system can typically be modified to the driver’s preferences. The sensitivity levels and alarm strength are frequently adjustable by drivers. Through specific control menus or the infotainment system of the car, these settings can be changed.
- Can DAW detect and differentiate between drowsiness and other forms of inattentiveness?
It is true that DAW is built to recognise and distinguish between drowsiness and other types of inattentiveness. The system examines a number of factors, including steering input and lane location, to assess the driver’s level of focus. It may identify certain drowsiness-related patterns and distinguish them from other causes, such as using a smartphone while driving, that might result in momentary inattentiveness.
- Does DAW have the ability to prevent accidents?
DAW can help drivers stay focused by sending alarms, but it cannot stop accidents from happening. It acts as a helpful feature by prompting drivers to focus on the road and do the appropriate actions. The ultimate responsibility for driving the car safely rests with the driver.
- Can DAW be turned off if desired?
Yes, DAW can typically be disabled if needed. Automakers frequently provide customers the choice to accept or disable driver assistance features based on their preferences. To increase safety when driving, it is generally advised to keep the DAW system on.
- Does DAW replace the need for drivers to remain attentive?
No, DAW is not meant to take the place of the necessity for drivers to pay attention. It acts as an extra safety measure to help motorists keep their attention on the road. Regardless of the existence of DAW or any other driver aid technology, drivers should constantly maintain attention, avoid distractions, and practice safe driving habits.
- Can DAW detect if a driver is falling asleep?
Yes, DAW can identify sleepiness symptoms, even when a driver is about to fall asleep. The technology can identify drowsy tendencies by examining numerous characteristics, including steering behaviour and lane position. When such signals are found, the system sends notifications to the driver to keep them awake and focused.
- Is DAW effective at preventing accidents caused by drowsy driving?
The usefulness of DAW in preventing accidents brought on by drowsy driving ultimately depends on the driver’s response, even though it can give timely warnings to sleepy drivers. Accident risk can be considerably decreased if the motorist recognises and responds to the alerts by stopping or resting. It’s crucial to remember that DAW is not a failsafe solution and needs to be used in conjunction with safe driving habits.
- Does DAW work in all driving conditions?
The Kia Soul 2023’s DAW is made to function in a variety of driving circumstances. Extreme weather, shoddy road markings, or specific driving situations, however, could have an impact on the system’s functioning. It is always advised to consult the vehicle’s user manual for detailed information on the DAW system’s operational restrictions.
- Can DAW be affected by other occupants in the vehicle?
DAW typically concentrates on observing the conduct and level of attentiveness of the driver. Unless they considerably interfere with the driver’s ability to focus, other passengers may not directly impair it. It is important to keep in mind that the system’s efficacy may differ depending on how it is specifically implemented in the Kia Soul 2023.
- Does DAW require any special maintenance or calibration?
DAW in the Kia Soul 2023 often doesn’t need any additional calibration or maintenance. It uses a variety of in-vehicle sensors and inputs to track the driver’s attention. To ensure the proper operation of the vehicle’s sensors and related systems, regular maintenance is necessary.
- Can DAW be retrofitted to older Kia Soul models?
In general, automakers do not enable retrofitting DAW or other driver aid system to older cars. These characteristics may call for certain hardware and software elements and are often built into the design of the vehicle during manufacture. It is advised to inquire about any authorized retrofitting alternatives, if any, with authorized Kia dealerships or service facilities.
- Is DAW standard in all Kia Soul 2023 trims?
Depending on the Kia Soul 2023’s particular trim level and optional packages, DAW might not always be available. In some circumstances, it could be offered as an optional add-on or a standard feature in higher trim levels. For exact information on the availability of DAW in various trims, it is advised to review the vehicle’s specs or get in touch with a Kia shop.