Hyundai Kona-EV 2023 Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
The indispensable Driver Attention Warning (DAW) feature, a defender of driver safety, is brought to the Hyundai Kona-N of 2023. DAW keeps a close eye on the driver’s actions, such as lane positioning and steering patterns, to identify indications of weariness or preoccupation. It acts as a watchful co-pilot in preventing any accidents caused by sleepiness or inattentiveness by quickly issuing visual and auditory alerts to bring the driver’s attention back to the road when it detects any problematic deviations. The 2023 Hyundai Kona-N’s adjustable sensitivity setting guarantees that DAW smoothly adjusts to the driver’s preferences, encouraging a safer and more concentrated driving experience.
Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
Driver Attention Warning can help determine the driver’s attention level by analyzing the driving patterns and driving time. while the vehicle is being driven. Driver Attention Warning will recommend falls below a certain level. Leading Vehicle Departure Alert function The Leading Vehicle Departure Alert function will inform the driver when a detected vehicle in front departs from a stop.
: Front view camera The front view camera is used as a sensor to detect driving patterns and front vehicle departure while the vehicle is being driven. Refer to the picture above for the detailed location of the detecting sensor.
Always keep the front view camera in good condition to maintain optimal performance of Driver Attention Warning. For the front view camera, refer to the “Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)” section in this chapter.
Driver Attention Warning Settings Setting features
Driver Attention Warning
With the vehicle on, select or deselect whether or not to use each function. IF selected, Driver Attention Warning will level and will recommend taking a break when the level falls below a certain level.
Driving Safety Auto Off in N mode
With the engine on, select ‘Driver Assistance Driving safety Off in N whether to use the function.
- IF DRIVING SAFETY OFF IN N is selected, Driver Attention Warning turns off automatically when N mode is selected.
- IF DRIVING SAFETY OFF IN N deselected, Driver Attention Warning does not turn off automatically even when N mode is selected.
If the engine is restarted, Driver Attention Warning will maintain the last setting
Leading Vehicle Departure Alert
IF selected, the function will inform the driver when a detected vehicle in front departs from a stop. Warning Timing With the vehicle on, select ‘The driver Settings menu to change the initial warning activation time for Driver Attention Warning. When the vehicle is first delivered, change the Warning Timing, the warning time of other Driver Assistance systems may change.
If the vehicle is restarted, the Driver Attention Warning will maintain the last setting.
Driver Attention Warning Operation Basic function
The basic function of a Driver Attention Warning is to inform the driver of the level and to warm the driver.
- The driver can monitor his/her driving conditions on the cluster.
- When the ‘Inattentive Driving displayed.
- Driver Attention Warning will operate when the vehicle speed is between 0~130 mph (0~210 km/h).
- When vehicle speed is not within the operating speed, the message is displayed.
Taking a break
- If will appears on the cluster an audible warning will sound to suggest that the driver take a break
- Driver Attention Warning will not suggest a break when the total driving time is shorter than 10 minutes or 10 minutes have not passed after the last break was suggested.
For your safety, change the Settings after parking the vehicle at a safe location.
- Driver Attention Warning may suggest a break depending on the driver’s driving pattern or habits, even if the driver doesn’t feel fatigued.
- Driver Attention Warning is a supplemental function and may not be able to determine whether the driver is inattentive.
- A driver who feels fatigued should take a break at a safe location, even though there is no break suggestion by Driver Attention Warning. Information
- You may change settings from the instrument cluster (User Settings) or infotainment system (Vehicle Settings), whichever option is provided with your vehicle. For more details, see the “User Settings” section in chapter 4, or the “Vehicle Settings” section in the supplied Infotainment Manual.
- Driver Attention Warning will reset the last break time to 00:00 in the following situations:
- The vehicle is turned off
- The driver unfastens the seat belt and opens the driver’s door
- The vehicle is stopped for more than 10 minutes
- When the driver resets Driver Attention Warning, the last break time is set to 00:00 and the driver’s attention level is set to High.
Leading vehicle Departure Alert function
When a detected vehicle in front departs from a stop, the Leading Vehicle Departure Alert will inform the driver by displaying a message on the cluster and an audible warning will sound.
- If any other system’s warning message is displayed or an audible warning is generated, the Leading message may not be displayed and an audible warning may not be generated.
- The driver has the responsibility to safely drive and control the vehicle.
- Always check the front of the vehicle and road conditions before departure.
Driver Attention Warning malfunction
When the Driver Attention Warning is not working properly, the ‘Check Driver’ warning message will appear on the cluster for several seconds, and the master ( ) warning light will illuminate the cluster. If this occurs, have the vehicle inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer. Limitations of Driver Attention Warning
Driver Attention Warning may not work properly in the following situations:
- The vehicle is driven violently
- The vehicle intentionally crosses over lanes frequently The vehicle is controlled by a Driver Assistance system, such as Lane Keeping Assist
Leading vehicle departure alert function
- When the vehicle cuts in
- If a vehicle cuts in front of your vehicle, the Leading Departure Alert may not operate properly.
- When the vehicle ahead sharply steers
- If the vehicle in front makes a sharp turn, such as turning left or right or making a U-turn, etc., Leading Vehicle Departure Alert may not operate properly.
- If the vehicle in front abruptly departures, the Leading Vehicle Departure Alert may not operate properly.
- When a pedestrian or bicycle is between you and the vehicle ahead
- If there is a pedestrian(s) or bicycle(s) in between you and the vehicle in front, the Leading Vehicle Departure Alert may not operate properly.
- When in a parking lot
- If a vehicle parked in front drives away from you, the Leading Vehicle Departure Alert may alert you that the parked vehicle is driving away.
- When driving at a tollgate or intersection, etc.
- If you pass a tollgate or intersection with lots of vehicles or you drive where lanes are merged or divided frequently, the Leading Vehicle Departure Alert may not operate properly.
For more details on the precautions of the front view camera, refer to the “Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)” section in Chapter 7.
Driver Attention Warning (DAW) is a safety feature in the 2023 Hyundai Kona-N designed to monitor the driver’s behavior and alert them if signs of fatigue or inattention are detected.
DAW uses sensors to track driver inputs and behavior, such as steering patterns and vehicle position in the lane, to determine if the driver is showing signs of drowsiness or distraction.
Yes, many models of the Kona-N allow the driver to adjust the sensitivity of the DAW system to their preference.
In most Kona-N models, the driver can enable or disable the DAW feature through the vehicle’s settings menu.
DAW primarily focuses on monitoring the driver’s behavior and may not take into account external factors like road conditions or weather.
DAW may be available as a standard feature or as an optional add-on, depending on the specific trim level and package chosen.
DAW primarily detects deviations in driving behavior that may indicate either drowsiness or distraction, such as erratic steering or drifting out of the lane.
The frequency of DAW alerts can vary depending on the driver’s behavior and the system’s sensitivity settings. It typically provides alerts when it detects concerning patterns.
When a DAW alert is triggered, it’s advisable for the driver to take a break, rest, or refocus their attention to ensure safe driving.
DAW is designed to work in various driving conditions, including highway and city driving, to help detect signs of fatigue or distraction.
Modifying the vehicle or adding aftermarket accessories could potentially affect the operation of DAW, so it’s recommended to consult with the manufacturer or dealer when making such modifications.
Depending on the vehicle’s configuration, some models may allow multiple drivers to set up their own DAW profiles with customized sensitivity settings.
DAW is primarily designed to provide real-time alerts and does not typically record or store driver behavior data.
DAW is primarily a passive system that monitors the driver’s behavior and provides alerts but does not actively intervene in the vehicle’s operation.
View Full User Guide: Hyundai Kona-N 2023 User Guide
Download Manuals: https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/resources/manuals-warranties.html
2023 Hyundai KONA Specs, Price, Features, Milage (Brochure)