Toyota BZ4X 2023 Electric Vehicle System
The Toyota BZ4X 2023 is a newly designed electric vehicle from Toyota, that aims to offer an eco-friendly and efficient driving experience. The BZ4X features a range of advanced features that enhance its electric vehicle system, one of which is its all-wheel drive system that uses electric motors on both front and rear axles for better handling and traction. Additionally, the vehicle utilizes regenerative braking technology, which converts energy from braking into electricity that can be utilized to charge the battery. The BZ4X’s electric system is equipped with a high-capacity lithium-ion battery pack, which allows for a range of up to 300 miles on a single charge. The vehicle can be charged using a standard household outlet, a Level 2 charger, or a DC fast charger. Apart from its advanced electric vehicle system, the BZ4X also features a spacious and comfortable interior with modern amenities such as a touchscreen infotainment system, wireless smartphone charging, and a digital instrument cluster. The vehicle also comes equipped with several advanced safety features, including automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane departure warning, providing a safe and secure driving experience for the driver and passengers. In conclusion, the Toyota BZ4X 2023 sets new standards in the realm of electric vehicles, combining advanced technology, efficient performance, and a comfortable driving experience for drivers who want to reduce their carbon footprint.
Electric Vehicle system features
Battery electric vehicles are considerably different from conventional vehicles. They use electricity charged in a traction battery, to drive the electric motor. Since battery electric vehicles are driven using electricity, they do not emit any emissions such as CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and NOx (Nitrogen Oxides). Battery electric vehicles are environmentally friendly vehicles
The illustration is an example for explanation and may differ from the actual item.
- ESU: Electricity Supply Unit (built in onboard traction battery charger/DC-DC converter)
- Electric motor (traction motor)/Inverter (front/rear*)
- Traction battery
- Provides electricity to the electric motor.
- Charging port
- 12-volt battery
When braking (regenerative braking)
The electric motor (traction motor) charges the traction battery. The driving range can be extended by actively using this regenerative braking to store electricity in the traction battery
The battery electric vehicle is driven using electricity, which is received from an external power source and stored in the traction battery. Not only public charging stations, but also household outlets can be used for charging. Procedures are different from refueling a conventional vehicle. Therefore, make sure to read the following thoroughly.
- Charging equipment
- AC charging cable
- Power sources that can be used
- Things to know before charging
- How to charge your vehicle
- When charging cannot be performed normally
In the following situations, kinetic energy is converted to electric energy and deceleration force can be obtained in conjunction with the recharging of the traction battery.
- The accelerator pedal is released while driving with the shift position in D.
- The brake pedal is depressed while driving with the shift position in D.
Charging the 12-volt battery
The 12-volt battery is charged from the traction battery when the EV system is operated or while the traction battery is being charged. If the vehicle has not been used for a long time, the 12-volt battery may become low due to self-discharge. If this occurs, follow the correct procedures.
When not using the vehicle for an extended period of time
- When the vehicle will not be used for an extended period of time, charge the traction battery once a month. This protects the traction battery from extreme voltage decline due to self discharging.
- When the vehicle will not be used for an extended period of time, the 12-volt battery will be charged from the traction battery to reduce the risk of the 12-volt battery discharged. In this case, the cooling fan may operate, however it is not a malfunction.
- To prevent the 12-volt battery from being discharged, do not leave the charging port lid open or the charging cable connected to the vehicle.
Charging the traction battery
Be sure to maintain the traction battery charge level suitable for your driving needs. If the traction battery fully discharges, the vehicle cannot be driven at all. When the battery becomes low, charge it as soon as possible.
If the traction battery becomes low
- If the traction battery becomes low, the traction battery charge warning light comes on or flashes and a message will be displayed on the multi-information display. (P.515)
- If the traction battery is completely discharged, the EV system cannot be started and driving will not be possible. When the traction battery becomes low, charge it as soon as possible.
Sounds and vibrations specific to an battery electric vehicle
Because there is no engine sound or vibration, it is easy to mistake the battery electric vehicle for being off when it is actually still running, as indicated by the “READY” indicator being illuminated. For safety, make sure to always shift the shift position to P and apply the parking brake when parked. Before and after the EV system is started, the following sounds and vibrations may occur. However, these sounds and/or vibrations are not signs of malfunctions:
- The brake system operation sound may be heard from the front of the vehicle when the driver’s door is opened.
- Motor sounds may be heard from the motor compartment or luggage compartment.
- Electrical relay sounds may be heard from the motor compartment when the EV system starts or stops.
- Relay operating sounds such as a snap or soft clank will be emitted from the traction battery in the following situations:
- When the EV system is started or stopped
- When charging starts or completes
- When the vehicle is driven the first time after the traction battery has been charged using DC charging
- Sounds may be heard due to regenerative braking when the brake pedal is depressed or as the accelerator pedal is released.
- Cooling fan operating sounds from the radiator.
- The operation sound of the air conditioning system (air conditioning compressor, blower motor).
Maintenance, repair, recycling, and disposal
Contact your Toyota dealer regarding maintenance, repair, recycling and disposal. Do not dispose of the vehicle yourself.
Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System
A sound which changes in accordance with the driving speed, will be played in order to warn people nearby of the vehicle’s approach. This sound may be heard inside the vehicle. The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 23 mph (37 km/h).
Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System
In the following cases, the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System may be difficult for surrounding people to hear
- In very noisy areas
- In the wind or the rain Also, as the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System is installed on the front of the vehicle, it may be more difficult to hear from the rear of the vehicle compared to the front.
Electric Vehicle system precautions
Be careful of the high voltage components (nominal voltage at 355.2 V), such as the traction battery, electricity supply unit, orange colored high voltage cables, and electric motor, as well as high temperature components such as the cooling radiator, which are provided on the battery electric vehicle. For the high voltage components, warning labels are provided on them. Read them when they need to be handled
2023 toyota BZ4x Specs, Price, Features and Mileage (Brochure)
- Warning label
- High voltage cables (orange)
- ESU: Electricity Supply Unit (built in onboard traction battery charger/DC-DC converter)
- Service plug
- AC charging inlet
- DC charging inlet
- Traction battery
- Electric motor (traction motor)/Inverter (front/rear*)
- Air conditioning compressor
- High-voltage parts and cables on the battery electric vehicles incorporate electro-magnetic shielding, and therefore emit approximately the same amount of electromagnetic waves as conventional gasoline-powered vehicles or home electronic appliances.
- Your vehicle may cause sound interference in some third party produced radio parts.
Traction battery (Lithium-ion battery)
The traction battery has a limited service life. The traction battery capacity (the ability to store energy) reduces with time and use in the same way as other rechargeable batteries. The extent at which capacity reduces changes drastically depending on the environment (outside temperature, etc.) and usage conditions, such as how the vehicle is driven and how the traction battery is charged. This is a natural characteristic of lithium-ion batteries, and is not a malfunction. Also, even though the driving range decreases when the traction battery capacity reduces, vehicle performance does not significantly become worse. In order to reduce the possibility of the capacity reducing, follow the directions listed on P.103, “Capacity reduction of the traction battery”. Starting the EV system in an extremely cold environment When the traction battery is extremely cold (below approximately -22°F [-30°C]) due to the temperature outside of the vehicle, it may not be possible to start the EV system. In this case, try to start the EV system again after the temperature of the traction battery increases due to the outside temperature increasing, etc.
- High-voltage precautions
- The vehicle has high voltage DC and AC systems as well as a 12- volt system.
- DC and AC high voltage systems are very dangerous and can cause severe burns and electric shock that may result in death or serious injury.
- Never touch, disassemble, remove, or replace the high voltage parts, cables (orange) or their connectors.
- The EV system will become hot after starting as the system uses high voltage. Be careful of both the high voltage and the high temperature, and always obey the warning labels attached to the vehicle.
- Never try to open the service plug access hole located under the floor. The service plug is used only when the vehicle is being serviced and is subject to high voltage.
- Road accident cautions Observe the following precautions to reduce the risk of death or serious injury:
- Stop the vehicle in a safe place to prevent subsequent accidents. While depressing the brake pedal, apply the parking brake and shift the shift position to P to stop the EV system. Then, slowly release the brake pedal.
- Do not touch the high voltage parts, cables (orange) and connectors.
- If electric wires are exposed inside or outside your vehicle, an electric shock may occur. Never touch exposed electric wires. Do not touch the traction battery if liquid is leaking from or adhered to it. If electrolyte (Organic Carbonate-based electrolyte) from the traction battery comes into contact with the eyes or skin, it could cause blindness or skin wounds. In the unlikely event that it comes into contact with the eyes or skin, wash it off immediately with a large amount of water, and seek immediate medical attention.
- If electrolyte is leaking from the traction battery, do not approach the vehicle. Even in the unlikely event that the traction battery has been damaged, the internal construction of the battery will prevent a large amount of electrolyte from leaking out. However, if electrolyte leaks, vapors will be emitted. These vapors are an irritant to skin and eyes and could cause acute poisoning if inhaled.
- Do not bring burning or hightemperature items close to the electrolyte. The electrolyte may ignite and cause a fire.
- If a fire occurs in the battery electric vehicle, leave the vehicle as soon as possible. Never use a fire extinguisher that is not meant for electrical fires. Using even a small amount of water may be dangerous.
- If your vehicle needs to be towed, be sure to transport the vehicle with the front wheels (2WD models) or four wheels (AWD models) raised. If the vehicle is towed with the wheels which are connected to the electric motor (traction motor) contacting the ground, electricity generated by the operation of the motor may cause a fire to occur depending on the nature of the damage or malfunction.
- Carefully inspect the ground under the vehicle. If leaked liquid (other than water from the air conditioning) is found on the ground, the traction battery may have been damaged. Leave the vehicle as soon as possible. In addition, contact your Toyota dealer with regard to the leakage found on the ground. Even in the event of a minor accident, the traction battery and surrounding parts may be damaged. In case of an accident, have the traction battery inspected at a Toyota dealer.
- Traction battery
- Your vehicle contains a sealed lithium-ion battery.
- Never resell, hand over or modify the traction battery. To prevent accidents, traction batteries that have been removed from a disposed vehicle are collected through your Toyota dealer. Do not dispose of the battery yourself. Unless the battery is properly collected, the following may occur, resulting in death or serious injury:
- Do not illegally dispose of or dump the traction battery, and it is hazardous to the environment or someone may touch a high voltage part, resulting in an electric shock.
- The traction battery is intended to be used exclusively with your battery electric vehicle. If the traction battery is used outside of your vehicle or modified in any way, accidents such as electric shock, heat generation, smoke generation, an explosion and electrolyte leakage may occur. When reselling or handing over your vehicle, the possibility of an accident is extremely high because the person receiving the vehicle may not be aware of the dangers from these modifications.
- If your vehicle is disposed of without the traction battery having been removed, there is a danger of serious electric shock if high voltage parts, cables and their connectors are touched. In the event that your vehicle must be disposed of, the traction battery must be disposed of by your Toyota dealer or a qualified service shop. If the traction battery is not disposed of properly, it may cause electric shock that can result in death or serious injury.
- For information about traction battery collection locations, contact information, or the recycling process, contact your Toyota dealer
Caution while driving
- Pay special attention to the area around the vehicle. Because there is no engine noise, pedestrians, people riding bicycles or other people and vehicles in the area may not be aware of the vehicle starting off or approaching them, so take extra care while driving. Therefore, take extra care while driving even if the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System is active.
- If the vehicle under floor area receives strong shock or impact while driving, stop the vehicle in a safe place and check around the bottom of the vehicle. If there is damage to the traction battery or liquid leakage, it may lead to a vehicle fire, etc. Do not touch the vehicle and immediately contact your Toyota dealer. Even if no damage can be seen under the floor, the traction battery may be damaged. If the vehicle received an impact under the floor, have the traction battery inspected at a Toyota dealer.
Do not make modifications that lower the height of the vehicle. The traction battery in the under floor area may come into contact with the ground when the height of vehicle is lowered. If the traction battery is damaged, a vehicle fire may occur, possibly resulting in death or serious injury.
Emergency shut off system
When a certain level of impact is detected by the impact sensors, the emergency shut off system turns off the EV system and blocks the high voltage current. If the emergency shut off system activates, your vehicle will not restart. To restart the EV system, contact your Toyota dealer.
A message is automatically displayed when a malfunction occurs in the EV system or an improper operation is attempted. If a warning message is shown on the multi-information display, read the message and follow the instructions. (P.140, 522)
If a warning light comes on, a warning message is displayed, or the 12-volt battery is disconnected
The EV system may not start. In that case, try to start the system again. If the “READY” indicator does not come on, contact your Toyota dealer.
When the traction battery is completely discharged
When the EV system cannot be started due to the traction battery being completely discharged, restart the system after AC charging or DC charging. When charging, it is recommended to charge the traction battery until the traction battery charge warning light turns off in order to ensure sufficient driving distance
Battery Electric Vehicle Driving Tips
Unlike conventional vehicles, the electricity consumption efficiency of battery electric vehicles will decline if they continue driving on highways (or freeways) or at high average speeds, causing the possible driving distance to reduce. Therefore, if the remaining charge of the traction battery is low, avoid relying on the displayed possible driving distance too much as well as driving on highways (or freeways). Driving the vehicle at moderate speeds, the traction battery’s electricity consumption can be controlled. The following driving tips will contribute to reduction in battery consumption and an increase in the driving range.
Shift position operation
Shift the shift position to D when stopped at a traffic light, or driving in heavy traffic, etc. Shift the shift position to P when parking. When shifting the shift position to N while driving, there is no positive effect on electricity consumption. In the N, the traction battery cannot be charged. Also, when using the air conditioning system, etc., the traction battery electricity is consumed.
Repeated acceleration and deceleration due to traffic congestion, long waits at traffic lights, and driving on steep inclines will lead to poor electricity consumption. In order to avoid those situations as much as possible, check traffic reports before leaving. If the vehicle is driven in traffic congestion, gently release the brake pedal to allow the vehicle to move forward slightly, avoid overuse of the accelerator pedal. Doing so can help minimize unnecessary electricity consumption.
Make sure to operate the brakes gently and a timely manner. A greater amount of electrical energy can be regenerated when slowing down.
Highway (or freeways) driving
Control and maintain the vehicle at a constant speed. Before stopping at a toll booth or similar, allow plenty of time to release the accelerator and gently apply the brakes. A greater amount of electrical energy can be regenerated when slowing down.
Use the air conditioning only when necessary. Doing so can help reduce excessive electricity consumption.
- In summer: When the ambient temperature is high, use the recirculated air mode. Doing so will help to reduce the burden on the air conditioning system and reduce electricity consumption as well. In winter: Excessive or unnecessary heating should be avoided. Also, electricity consumption can be improved by avoiding overuse of the heater.
- When using the Remote Air Conditioning System (P.409) while the AC charging cable is connected to the vehicle, electricity consumption immediately after starting off will be reduced because air conditioning is operated mainly using electricity from an external power source.
Checking tire inflation pressure
Make sure to check the tire inflation pressure frequently Improper tire inflation pressure can cause poor electricity consumption. Also, as snow tires can cause large amounts of friction, their use on dry roads will lead to poor electricity consumption. Use tires that are appropriate for the season.
Carrying heavy luggage will lead to poor electricity consumption. Avoid carrying unnecessary luggage.
The driving range displayed on the multi-information display, etc., shows the reference distance that driving is possible, and the actual distance that can be driven may differ from that displayed.
A value for which a sufficient level of driving performance can be provided is estimated based on the remaining charge of the traction battery, the state of the traction battery, the outside temperature, etc., and is displayed on the multi-information display. (P.152) When the outside temperature is low, the traction battery output may be decreased, causing the possible driving distance to be shorter. However, this is not a malfunction. Charge the traction battery earlier than usual.
Tips for extending the driving range
Possible driving distance varies significantly depending on how the vehicle is driven, road conditions, the weather, the outside temperature, usage conditions of electrical components and the number of occupants. Possible driving distance could be extended if the followings are performed:
- Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front and avoid unnecessary acceleration and deceleration
- Accelerate and decelerate the vehicle as smoothly as possible
- Drive at moderate speeds as much as possible and maintain a constant speed
- Set the air conditioning system to a moderate temperature and avoid using the heating and cooling functions excessively.
- Use tires of the specified size and maintain the specified tire pressure
- Do not add unnecessary weight to the vehicle
Display when charging is completed
The following indicate that charging has been carried out properly.
- The AC charging indicator turns off
- “Charging complete” is displayed on the multi-information display when a door is opened while the power switch is off. (P.101)
Regardless of the type of power source or whether the charging schedule function is used, charging is completed if the above can be confirmed. Charging-related messages: P.140
What is the Toyota BZ4X 2023?
The Toyota BZ4X 2023 is an all-new electric vehicle from Toyota.
What is the driving range of the BZ4X?
The BZ4X has a range of up to 300 miles on a single charge.
What kind of battery does the BZ4X have?
The BZ4X is equipped with a high-capacity lithium-ion battery pack.
How can the BZ4X be charged?
The BZ4X can be charged using a standard household outlet, a Level 2 charger, or a DC fast charger.
What is regenerative braking in the BZ4X?
The BZ4X uses regenerative braking, which converts energy from braking into electricity that can be used to charge the battery.
What kind of drivetrain does the BZ4X have?
The BZ4X has an all-wheel drive system, which uses electric motors on both the front and rear axles for improved traction and handling.
What kind of interior features does the BZ4X have?
The BZ4X features a spacious and comfortable interior, with modern technology such as a touchscreen infotainment system, wireless smartphone charging, and a digital instrument cluster.
What kind of safety features does the BZ4X have?
The BZ4X comes equipped with several advanced safety features, such as automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane departure warning.
What is the charging time of the BZ4X?
The charging time of the BZ4X depends on the type of charger used. It can take several hours for a full charge using a Level 2 charger or a household outlet, while a DC fast charger can charge the battery up to 80% in as little as 30 minutes.
What is the maximum speed of the BZ4X?
The maximum speed of the BZ4X has not been officially announced yet.
What is the warranty of the BZ4X battery?
The warranty for the BZ4X battery has not been officially announced yet.
What is the starting price of the BZ4X?
The starting price of the BZ4X has not been officially announced yet.
What is the passenger capacity of the BZ4X?
The passenger capacity of the BZ4X has not been officially announced yet, but it is expected to be a five-seater vehicle.
What is the expected release date of the BZ4X?
The BZ4X is expected to be released in the US in mid-2022.
Where can I find more information about the BZ4X?
You can find more information about the BZ4X on the official Toyota website or by visiting a Toyota dealership.