Lexus ES350 2022 Engine Ignition Switch User Manual
The premium car subsidiary of the Japanese carmaker Toyota, Lexus, produces the Lexus ES350 2022, a sedan. I am unable to supply you with specific information regarding the Lexus ES350 2022 model’s engine ignition switch, but I can provide you information about general engine ignition systems. An essential part of a car’s ignition system is the engine ignition switch. By regulating the flow of electrical current to the engine’s ignition system, it primarily serves to start and stop the engine. The switch’s “ON” position permits electrical current to flow to the ignition coil, spark plugs, and fuel injectors, among other parts of the ignition system.
In modern vehicles, ignition switches are often integrated into the ignition lock cylinder, which is the part where the key is inserted. However, some newer models are equipped with push-button start systems, eliminating the need for a physical key. The specific features and functionalities of the engine ignition switch can vary depending on the vehicle and its manufacturer. Some vehicles may have additional features integrated into the ignition switch, such as keyless entry or remote start capabilities. If you require more detailed information about the engine ignition switch of the Lexus ES350 2022, I recommend reaching out to a Lexus dealership or referring to the vehicle’s owner’s manual for accurate and up-to-date information.
Engine Ignition Switch
Performing the following operations when carrying the electronic key on your person starts the engine or changes engine switch modes.
Starting the engine
- Press the parking brake switch to check that the parking brake is set.
Parking brake indicator will come on.
- Check that the shift lever is in P.
- Firmly depress the brake pedal.
and a message will be displayed on the multi-information display.
If it is not displayed, the engine cannot be started.
- Press the engine switch shortly and firmly.
When operating the engine switch, one short, firm press is enough. It is not necessary to press and hold the switch.
The engine will crank until it starts or for up to 30 seconds, whichever is less.
Continue depressing the brake pedal until the engine is completely started.
The engine can be started from any engine switch mode.
Engine switch illumination
According to the situation, the engine switch illumination operates as follows.
- When a door is opened, or the engine switch mode is changed from ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode to off, the engine switch illumination slowly blinks.
When depressing the brake pedal with carrying the electronic key on your per-son, the engine switch illumination rapidly blinks.
- When the engine switch is in ACCES-SORY or IGNITION ON mode, the engine switch illumination illuminates.
If the engine does not start
- The engine immobilizer system may not have been deactivated. Contact your Lexus dealer.
- If a message related to start-up is shown on the multi-information display, read the message and follow the instructions.
- If the door is unlocked with the mechanical key, the engine cannot be started using the smart access system with push-button start. Refer to start the engine. However, if the electronic key is carried inside the vehicle and the doors are locked , the engine can be started.
If the battery is discharged
The engine cannot be started using the smart access system with push-button start. Refer to restart the engine.
Electronic key battery depletion
Conditions affecting operation
Notes for the entry function
If there is a malfunction in the smart access system with push-button start
If “Access System with Elec. Key Malfunction See Owner’s Manual” is displayed on the multi-information display, the system may be malfunctioning. Have the vehicle inspected by your Lexus dealer immediately.
Electronic key battery
Operation of the engine switch
- If the switch is not pressed shortly and firmly, the engine switch mode may not change or the engine may not start.
- If attempting to restart the engine immediately after turning the engine switch off, the engine may not start in some cases. After turning the engine switch off, please wait a few seconds before restarting the engine.
If the smart access system with push-button start has been deactivated in a customized setting, refer to.
When starting the engine
Always start the engine while sitting in the driver’s seat. Do not depress the accelerator pedal while starting the engine under any circumstances. Doing so may cause an accident resulting in death or serious injury.
When starting the engine
- Do not race a cold engine.
If the engine becomes difficult to start or stalls frequently, have your vehicle checked by your Lexus dealer immediately.
Symptoms indicating a malfunction with the engine switch
If the engine switch seems to be operating somewhat differently than usual, such as the switch sticking slightly, there may be a malfunction. Contact your Lexus dealer immediately.
Stopping the engine
- Stop the vehicle completely.
- Set the parking brake , and shift the shift lever to P .
- Press the engine switch.
- Release the brake pedal and check that “ACCESSORY” or “IGNI-TION ON” is not shown on the meter.
Automatic engine shut off feature
- The vehicle is equipped with a feature that automatically shuts off the engine when the shift lever is in P with the engine running for an extended period.
The engine will automatically shut off after approximately 1 hour if it has been left running while the shift lever is in P.
The timer for the automatic engine shut off feature will reset if the brake pedal is depressed or if the shift lever is in a position other than P.
After the vehicle is parked, if the door is locked with the door lock switch
( P.96) from the inside or the mechanical key from the outside, the automatic engine shut off feature will be disabled. The timer for the automatic engine shut off feature will be re-enabled if the driver’s door is opened.
Locking the door from outside with the engine running
- With the driver’s door open, pull the driver’s door handle and insert the mechanical key.
- Turn the mechanical key counterclockwise.
- Pull out the mechanical key and close the door.
Stopping the engine in an emergency
- If you want to stop the engine in an emergency while driving the vehicle, press and hold the engine switch for more than 2 seconds, or press it briefly 3 times or more in succession.
However, do not touch the engine switch while driving except in an emergency. Turning the engine off while driving will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost. This will make it more difficult to steer and brake, so you should pull over and stop the vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so.
- If the engine switch is operated while the vehicle is running, a warning message will be shown on the multi-information display and a buzzer sounds.
When restarting the engine after an emergency shutdown, shift the shift lever to N and press the engine switch shortly and firmly.
Exhaust gases include harmful carbon monoxide (CO), which is colorless and odorless. Observe the following precautions.
Failure to do so may cause exhaust gases to enter the vehicle and may lead to an accident caused by light-headedness, or may lead to death or a serious health hazard.
- If the vehicle is in a poorly ventilated area or a closed area, such as a garage, stop the engine.
Do not leave the vehicle with the engine running for a long time. If such a situation cannot be avoided, park the vehicle in an open space and ensure that exhaust fumes do not enter the vehicle interior.
Do not leave the engine running in an area with snow build-up, or where it is snowing. If snowbanks build up around the vehicle while the engine is running, exhaust gases may collect and enter the vehicle.
Changing engine switch modes
Modes can be changed by pressing the engine switch with the brake pedal released. (The mode changes each time the switch is pressed.)
The emergency flashers can be used.
- ACCESSORY mode
Some electrical components such as the audio system can be used.
“ACCESSORY” will be displayed on the meter.
- IGNITION ON mode
All electrical components can be used.
“IGNITION ON” will be displayed on the meter.
If the shift lever is in a position other than P when turning off the engine, the engine switch will be turned to ACCESSORY mode, not to off.
Auto power off function
If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode for more than 20 minutes or IGNITION ON mode (the engine is not running) for more than an hour with the shift lever in P, the engine switch will automatically turn off. However, this function cannot entirely pre-vent the battery discharge. Do not leave the vehicle with the engine switch in ACCES-SORY or IGNITION ON mode for long periods of time when the engine is not running.
When stopping the engine with the shift lever in a position other than P
If the engine is stopped with the shift lever in a position other than P, the engine switch will not be turned off but instead be turned to ACCESSORY mode. Perform the following procedure to turn the switch off:
- If the parking brake is in manual mode, set the parking brake.
- Shift the shift lever to P.
- Check that “Turn Power Off” is displayed on the multi-information dis-play and then press the engine switch once.
- Check that “Turn Power Off” on the multi-information display is turned off.
To prevent battery discharge
Do not leave the engine switch in ACCESSORY or IGNITION ON mode for long periods of time without the engine running.
If “ACCESSORY” or “IGNITION ON” is displayed on the meter, the engine switch is not off.
Exit the vehicle after turning the engine switch off.
- Do not stop the engine when the shift lever is in a position other than P. If the engine is stopped in another shift lever position, the engine switch will not be turned off but instead be turned to ACCESSORY mode. If the vehicle is left in ACCESSORY mode, battery discharge may occur.
- How do I start the Lexus ES350 2022 engine?
Insert the key into the ignition switch on the steering column to start the Lexus ES350 2022’s engine. To start the engine, turn the key in the right direction or depress the engine start/stop button (if it is present).
- Can I start the engine without inserting the key in the ignition switch?
No, in order to start the Lexus ES350 2022, the key must be placed in the ignition switch. Some models might have a keyless start/stop button, but in order for it to function, the key fob must be close to the car.
- Can I remove the key from the ignition while the engine is running?
No, taking the key out of the ignition while the car is running is not advised. Until you are prepared to turn the engine off, you should leave the key in the ignition.
- What should I do if the engine does not start?
If the engine won’t start, make sure the key is in the ignition switch properly and that the car is in “Park” (or “Neutral” for models with manual transmissions). It is best to refer to the owner’s manual or get support from a Lexus dealership if the problem continues.
- Can I start the engine remotely using a key fob or smartphone app?
Depending on the particular features and options installed in your Lexus ES350 2022, you may or may not be able to remotely start the engine. Some models might support key fob or smartphone app-based remote engine starting. Information on the remote start options is available by contacting a Lexus dealership or consulting the owner’s manual.
- What happens if I turn the key in the ignition without starting the engine?
The vehicle’s electrical systems, including the lights, radio, and other accessories, will still be functional if you turn the key in the ignition without starting the engine. The car won’t move, though, and the engine won’t even turn over.
- Can I use a duplicate key to start the engine?
If the duplicate key has been properly programmed for your Lexus ES350 2022, then using it to start the engine is permissible. In order to ensure proper programming, duplicate keys should be purchased from a Lexus dealership or a reliable locksmith.
- How do I turn off the engine?
Simply turn the ignition key counterclockwise until it is in the “off” position to shut off the Lexus ES350 2022’s engine. If your car has a button that starts or stops the engine, press and hold it for a few seconds until the engine turns off.
- What should I do if the engine doesn’t turn off?
If you turn the key or depress the engine start/stop button and the engine does not shut off, check your owner’s manual or seek help from a Lexus dealership. To avoid any potential risks, it is crucial to make sure the engine is properly turned off.
- Is there an emergency engine shut-off feature?
Yes, you can quickly turn off the engine in an emergency by turning the key to the “off” position or by pressing and holding the engine start/stop button for a short period of time. The engine will stop right away as a result.
- Can I start the engine while the vehicle is in motion?
The answer is no, you shouldn’t try to start the engine while the car is moving. Only when the car is stationary, such as when you are parked or at a complete stop, should the engine be started.
- Can I leave the engine running while I exit the vehicle?
It is not advisable to leave the engine running while getting out of the car for security and safety reasons. It is recommended to shut off the engine and take out them.