BMW 3 Series 2020-2023 Unscrewing User Manual
- Attach the adapter to the lug lock bolt.
- Unscrew the lug lock bolt.
- Remove the adapter after unscrewing the lug bolt.
- Attach the adapter to the lug lock bolt. If necessary, turn the adapter until it fits on the lug lock bolt.
- Screw on the lug lock bolt. The tightening torque is 101 lbs ft/140 Nm.
- Remove the adapter and stow it after screwing on the lug bolt.
Preparing the vehicle
- Park the vehicle on the solid and non-slip ground at a safe distance from traffic.
- Turn on the hazard warning system.
- Set the parking brake.
- Engage a gear or move the selector lever to position P.
- As soon as permitted by the traffic flow, have all vehicle occupants get out of the vehicle and ensure that they remain outside the hazardous area in a safe place, such as behind a guardrail.
- Depending on the vehicle equipment, get wheel change tools and, if necessary, the emergency wheel from the vehicle.
- If necessary, set up a warning triangle or portable hazard warning light at an appropriate distance.
- Secure the vehicle additionally against rolling.
- Loosen the lug bolts a half turn.
The jacking points for the vehicle jack are located at the indicated positions.
Jacking up the vehicle
Hands and fingers can be jammed when using the vehicle jack. There is a risk of injury. Com‐ply with the described hand position and do not change this position while using the vehicle jack.
- Hold the vehicle jack with one hand, arrow 1, and grasp the vehicle jack crank or lever with your other hand, arrow 2.
- Insert the vehicle jack into the rectangular recess of the jacking point closest to the wheel to be changed.
- Extend the vehicle jack by turning the vehicle jack crank or lever clockwise.
- Take your hand away from the vehicle jack as soon as the vehicle jack is under load and continue turning the vehicle jack crank or lever with one hand.
- Make sure that the vehicle jack foot stands vertically and at a right angle beneath the jacking point.
- Make sure that the vehicle jack foot stands vertically and perpendicularly beneath the jacking point after extending the vehicle jack.
- Crank the vehicle up, until the vehicle jack is with the entire surface on the ground and the relevant wheel is a maximum 1.2 inches/3 cm above the ground.
Mounting a wheel
Mount one emergency wheel only, as required.
- Unscrew the lug bolts.
- Remove the wheel.
- Put the new wheel or emergency wheel on and screw in at least two lug bolts in a cross‐wise pattern until hand-tight.
When non-original light-alloy wheels of the vehicle manufacturer are mounted, the ac‐companying lug bolts may have to be used as well.
- Hand-tighten the remaining lug bolts and tighten all lug bolts well in a crosswise pattern.
- Turn the vehicle jack crank counterclockwise to retract the vehicle jack and lower the vehicle.
- Remove the vehicle jack and stow it securely.
After the wheel change
- Tighten the lug bolts crosswise. The tightening torque is 101 lbs ft/140 Nm.
- Stow the nonworking wheel in the cargo area, if necessary.
- Check tire inflation pressure at the next opportunity and correct as needed.
- Reinitialize the Flat Tire Monitor.
Reset the Tire Pressure Monitor again.
- Check to make sure the lug bolts are tight with a calibrated torque wrench.
- Have the damaged tire replaced at the nearest dealer’s service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.
In the event of a flat tire, the emergency wheel can be used in place of the wheel with the defective tire. The emergency wheel is only intended for temporary use until the defective tire/wheel has been replaced.
Mount one emergency wheel only.
Also, check the tire inflation pressure of the emergency wheel in the cargo area regularly, and correct it as needed.
The emergency wheel has particular dimensions. When driving with an emergency wheel, changed driving properties may occur, for in‐stance reduced lane stability when braking, longer braking distance, and changed self-steering properties in the limit area. There is a risk of accident. Drive moderately and do not exceed a speed of 50 mph/80 km/h.
The emergency wheel and the wheel change tools are located in the cargo area under the cargo floor panel.